Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Health Quote of the Week

I am starting a new segment on my blog. I do a ton of reading and find myself not writing as much as I feel I should. From now on, when I read something good, either an article, or a quote, or even a book, I am going to do a write up for everyone to read.

Look for my new segment. 'Health quote of the week.'

Steve Tobak, a writer for FOX Business, in an article about reasons not to buy a new 'smart' watch had a priceless and paradigm breaking quote.

When talking about how the new 'smart' watches can be used as health trackers he states...

"Really? I’m a runner. I own a pair of sneakers, shorts, and socks. I don’t need to know how far I run or how many calories I burn. I know I’m fit because my clothes fit. Funny how the more fitness stuff we buy the fatter we become. If everyone would quit trying to be so smart and just go out and do something, there’d be no obesity epidemic."

Why can't we all be as smart as Steve? For what I know I don't think Steve has a medical degree. I don't believe he is a weight loss expert. He is a business writer. From a business stand point he says away with all this fancy crap to help you be healthy. Get out and move. These are words of pure wisdom.

I have patient's that do not want to know their weight, or have had past eating issues in which the number becomes problematic. This is the same advice, or what I refer to, measurement, I instruct them to use. Put your favorite, best fitting "butt" jeans on. See how they fit. Are they too tight? Let those jeans be your measure. When they fit perfectly you know you are where you want to be.

Jeans don't change. People change. Weight is not something that creeps up with age. It is a constant once you reach adulthood. Let's get to ideal and make it the constant!!!

Thank you Steve for your words of wisdom. It is refreshing to read this kind of common sense.

-Dr K

No comments:

Post a Comment